Co-operative Education and Work-Integrated Learning Week
CO-OPERATIVE EDUCATION AND WORK-INTEGRATED LEARNING WEEK
Highlight March 18 - 22, 2019 on your calendar to celebrate Co-operative Education and Work-Integrated Learning Week!
Chair: Kelsey Currie, Fanshawe College
Board Rep: Krystle Paskaruk, University College of the North
Students across Canada will be encouraged to participate in a nationwide social media contest. For more details please click here.
Co-operative education has been working in Canada for well over 50 years with no sign of slowing down. With over 80,000 co-op students in Canada, organizations are able to tap into a remarkable resource of newly developed skill sets, while at the same time enhancing their workforce by meeting a variety of staffing requirements. Co-operative Education and Work-Integrated Learning (CEWIL Canada) is a resource for co-op practitioners across Canada. Its on-line Co-op Directory is a useful tool for students and employers interested in co-operative education. CEWIL Canada is more than 490 members strong from colleges, universities, government and business who actively advocate and promote post-secondary co-operative education at the post-secondary level.
We encourage you to celebrate co-op and WIL successes and student achievements during Co-operative Education and Work-Integrated Learning Week. Have an open house and invite all departments from your institution, submit articles to your local newspaper and school newspaper, send out a newsletter, do a show on the local cable channel, highlight co-op on your schools website, offer to speak at departmental, community meetings on the benefits of co-op..and don’t forget to take a couple of co-op students. Be creative and innovative. We are all experiencing economic uncertainties which is causing enormous challenges in job development and recruitment for co-op/WIL positions. It is important to get the co-op message out there and demonstrate that co-op and WIL is alive and well.
Media and Promotional Activities:
- Publish an article in your local college/university newspaper featuring a Co-op or WIL Student at their workplace;
- Publish advertisements in local newspapers recognizing your Co-op/WIL Employers and Co-operative Education/Work-Integrated Learning program;
- Feature a Co-op or WIL Student (or your Co-op Student of the Year recipient) on your campus radio station regarding their Co-operative Education/ Work-Integrated Learning experiences;
- List Co-op/WIL Employer profiles and their history with your Co-operative Education/Work-Integrated Learning program in your internal/external newsletters as well as on your web site;
- Participate in a “Phone-Blitz” to encourage new companies/organizations to hire your Co-op/WIL Students;
- Attend a trade show or company seminar to network with industry professionals;
- Include Co-op/WIL Students when promoting your Co-operative Education/Work-Integrated Learning program on/off campus;
- Set up a Co-op and WIL Awareness Booth on campus to attract non-Co-op Students and non-WIL at your college/university or local highschool.
- Create a contest
- In the spirit of continuing partnerships, arrange a social event for Co-op and WIL Employers, Faculty, Staff, and Students to mingle. Activities may include hosting an Open-House, a Wine-and-Cheese Reception, a Co-op and WIL Party, a Coffee & Cake Break, a Pizza Party, a Fundraiser for a local charity, or a BBQ;
- Strengthen Co-op and WIL Employer and Student relationships by facilitating fun events such as a "Co-op and WIL Olympic Games" where they compete against each other;
- Recognize Co-op and WIL Employers at a breakfast/luncheon/dinner and invite an established Employer as your Keynote Speaker; and
- Host a Co-op and WIL Student Résumé Clinic or roundtable and invite Co-op and WIL Employers to participate.
- Have your mayor or provincial government proclaim March 19-23, 2018 as "National Co-operative Education and Work-Integrated Learning Week".
Co-op Student and Employer Recognition Awards:
- Create your own college/university Co-op Student the Year Award (Getting Started) and invite your Co-op and WL Employers to nominate their outstanding Co-op or WIL Student employee(s);
- Honour your Co-op/WIL Student of the Year recipient with a cash award/plaque/certificate during National Co-operative and Work-Integrated Learning Education Week;
- Nominate your college/university Co-op/WIL Student of the Year recipient for the national CEWIL Canada Co-op Student of the Year Award;
- established Co-op and WIL Employers by recognizing them with a plaque/certificate during National Co-operative Education and Work-Integrated Learning Week; and
- highlight your institution's Co-op Student of the Year winner on your institution's homepage.
- CEWIL Canada Co-op Week (2012) Social Media Contest http://www.linkedin.com/groups/CAFCE-Coop-Week-4338614
Sinan Leylek ~ CEWIL Canada Grand Prize Winner ($200 Future Shop Gift Certificate)
- March 22, 2012, Glen R. Murray, Minister of Training, Colleges and Universities announced National Co-operative Education Week (2012) to the Ontario Legislative Assembly (Statement to the Legislative Assembly .PDF)
- March 16, 2012, Ed Holder, Member of Parliament announced National Co-operative Education Week (2012) on the floor of the House of Commons
- 2011 Mayor of Barry, Ontario's proclamation (2011) (.PDF)
- 2005 Tsunami Donation to the World University Service of Canada (WUSC), $2,050.00