By the end of an orientation and pre-employment training period, students should have had an opportunity to develop and reliably demonstrate the skills required to identify, secure and maintain meaningful employment in their field study. The expected outcomes prior to the work term would include but not be limited to the following:
Students would be able to ......
- Use personal assessment tools to assess employability skills values and attitudes.
- Discuss employment legislation related to human rights & employment equity.
- Apply effective work search techniques including:
- preparation of an effective resume and covering letter.
- development of an active job-search network.
- information interview planning and implementation.
- preparation for a successful interview.
- Set work term goals and establish action steps to accomplish them.
- Discuss the roles, responsibilities and expectations of all of the employment partners.
- Discuss the components of the evaluation process including; on-site visits, employer evaluation, ethical behaviour, work term report, and post-employment interview.
Students would be able to:
- Discuss the changing dynamics of the labour market current hiring practices.
- Understand the principles and importance of effective personal management skills such as; positive attitude, ethical behaviour, responsibility, adaptability, communication skills, conflict resolution management, health and welness, stress and time management.
- Identify gender & cross-cultural issues and develop strategies for addressing them.
- Show awareness of work place dynamics which could affect work performance.
- Demonstrate the ability to work effectively in a team environment.