Dear CAFCE Members,
Spring is certainly around the corner as I see signs of it popping up everywhere. From fewer days of snow to longer days in the sun, the renewed energy is amazing. Another telltale sign of spring in CAFCE is the completion of our in-person CAFCE Board meetings held in Toronto each February. The two days were extremely productive and included a CAFCE Branding exercise where collectively we identified three “Value Proposition Statements” which will serve as the foundation for future Marketing and Communication activities.
Personally and professionally it has been extremely rewarding to serve as a volunteer on the CAFCE Board. I wish to extend an invitation to all CAFCE members that are interested in sharing their talents to contact us! There are multiple ways to volunteer including actively serving on specific committees (full list available here) or serving on a conference planning committee. We are delighted to be partnering with ACE and CACEE for a Joint Conference in Vancouver in May 2017, so here’s your chance! If you are interested in volunteering for this Joint Conference, please contact Scott Davis, Co-Chair for CAFCE 2017, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Speaking of conferences, registration for the CAFCE 2016 National Conference (August 7-10, 2016) in Moncton, New Brunswick is open now! Please visit the registration page soon as early bird registration closes May 6, 2016.
- Project work has begun on the National Co-op Statistics Database with current activities involving discovery and setting the groundwork for the database schema. Please watch for further updates as we reach key project milestones.
- The Accreditation Council is actively working on revising the Accreditation Application Document to accommodate the recent changes to include 2-year programs. In the meantime, programs within this category are still welcome to apply using the current forms available here.
CAFCE’s expanded current accreditation guidelines now include shorter programs offered by Colleges and Graduate level programs. For programs of two years or less, the total amount may be a minimum of 25%, where a work term is a minimum of 12 weeks and/or 420 hours of full-time, paid experience.
- National Co-op Week Social Media Contest was a huge success! A big thanks to Fanshawe College for taking on the project and doing such a GREAT job!
Summary: 2,403 tweets for #coopweek, 200 posts on instagram for #coopweek, 810 tweets for #hirecoop, 10 posts on instagram for #hirecoop
- Following tradition, CAFCE recognized the winners of the CAFCE Co-op Student of the Year Awards during National Co-op Week. Congratulations to Rachel McDonald from the University of Waterloo and Shauna-Kay Jones from Sheridan College for your tremendous accomplishments and for being excellent ambassadors for Co-op in Canada! Honourable mentions were awarded to Andrew MacDonald from University of Waterloo and Stephen Kostuk from Sheridan College. A huge thank you to all members who nominated students and to the very dedicated Student of the Year Committee for all the hours invested in selecting the winners!
- Know someone who’s made a big contribution to Co-op in Canada this year? Then consider nominating them for one of CAFCE’s annual member awards: the Albert S. Barber Award , the Dr. Graham Branton Research Award or the CAFCE Service Award. Click through for nomination details. Note that nominations and supporting material must be received by 4:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time on May 27th, 2016. The results will be announced at the 2016 CAFCE conference in Moncton.
If you have any comments or questions, or wish to become involved with CAFCE, please contact me anytime at email@example.com.
Hope to see you at the conference in Moncton.
Wishing you all good things!
President, CAFCE (2015-2016)
University of Lethbridge