SCIENCE COOP COORDINATOR - 0188.5
Faculty of Science
University of Manitoba
Work Schedule (Select) Full time: 35 hours per week
Salary (Hourly): $26.57 - $34.72
Salary (Annual): $48,357.40 - $63,190.40
- Undergraduate degree in Science is required, preferably with a major in Life Sciences.
- Certificate in Human Resource Management or Career Coaching would be an asset.
- Two years of directly related experience in administering a co-op program or program management experience in career counselling and management is required.
- Experience in career planning and recruitment is required.
- Experience developing program processes and requirements is required.
- Knowledge of University policies and procedures is preferred.
- An acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain professional relationships with employers, faculty and students is required.
- Must be able to deal with staff, students, program employers, and the public in a tactful and diplomatic manner.
- Must be detail oriented.
- Proficiency in using advanced features associated with Microsoft Office Suite, PowerPoint, and knowledge of web site use is required.
- Must be able to conduct research on the internet required.
- Familiarity with international student issues and work permit legislation and demonstrated ability to deal sensitively with cross cultural issues are required.
- Excellent organizational skills; ability to meet deadlines and deal positively with changing priorities and stressful situations are required.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills and demonstrated public presentation skills required.
- Must be self-confident; able to cold call employers and able to deliver give seminars to large audiences.
- Sound decision making, problem-solving and negotiation skills with a customer service focus are required.
- Must be able to exercise independent judgement and to carry out duties in a professional manner.
- Established network within the private and public sector is preferred.
- Must be willing to travel; locally, provincially and nationally and willing to work evenings and weekends.
- Must be able to work flexible hours when required.
- Satisfactory work record, including satisfactory attendance and punctuality, is required.
- Promotes co-op program to students, employers and Faculty; solicits employers by cold calling, prepares and distributes promotional materials, conducts surveys and performs employer site visits.
- Works one on one with students in a career advising role preparing them for the application and interview process and work term placement.
- Develops and delivers workshops on various topics.
- Initiates communication and establishes relationships with employers to solicit work term placements and determines employers' suitability for the co-op program.
- Advises employers about co-op program expectations, financial aid programs, and developing the work term position so that it adheres to co-op guidelines.
- Determines suitability of work term positions in conjunction with the policy of the program; assists employers with preparation of job postings.
- Develops and updates program materials, admission forms, work term report forms, evaluations and other resource materials.
- Develops marketing strategy and materials to raise awareness of co-op education option for employers and students.
- Supervises Co-op assistant and assigns workload.
- Develops and maintains student and employer databases.
- Administers and creates content for co-op web site.
- Develops and incorporates new program initiatives, continually looking to improve and build on program successes.
- Administers budget.
- Recruits, trains, delegates tasks and supervise Office Assistant as needed.
- In conjunction with the undergraduate program office, advises current and prospective co-op students regarding requirements for entrance to the program.
- Works with academic Faculty Advisors to ensure grading of work term reports.
- Facilitates and advises on the process of work permit authorizations.
- Advises graduating students on permanent job search strategies.
- Promotes communications between co-op stakeholders.
- Serves as the School’s co-op representative and liaison at local events, national conferences, and with local and national University departments and co-op programs.
- Provides statistical reports and information about co-op education.
- Performs other related duties as required or assigned.
Posting Closing Date: July 8, 2017 at 4:30 p.m. CT
Interested candidates are invited to apply online at the University of Manitoba career page: https://umanitoba.hua.hrsmart.com/ats/js_job_details.php?reqid=19722