University of Alberta
ENG Dean Of Engineering
Co-op Education Coordinator
Competition No. - A107435381
Closing Date - Will remain open until filled.
This competition will be used to fill 2 positions.
The Cooperative Education Program in the Faculty of Engineering provides students with the opportunity to apply their academic studies within a work placement to gain valuable career building experience in their chosen field of study. We are looking for highly motivated and enthusiastic individuals to join one of the largest programs in Canada of this kind as a Cooperative Education Coordinator.
As part of the team, the Coordinator contributes to the success of the Faculty of Engineering with two focuses:
- Academic coaching and support including student education, counselling on career and professional development, and employment placement and academic assessment
- Program administration including program marketing, networking to develop employment opportunities, and relationship building with external corporate stakeholders.
As a Cooperative Education Coordinator, you will:
- Educate and coach students on all facets of the co-op experience, program requirements and success factors for their work terms.
- Market the program, build relationships and develop quality co-op jobs to meet mutually beneficial objectives for all stakeholders, students, employers and the Faculty of Engineering.
- Cultivate a geographically diverse portfolio of potential employers that includes all sectors within the engineering industry.
- Identify and secure placement opportunities for students; support ongoing partnerships with existing employers to ensure consistency of service and potential new development opportunities with organizations.
- Lead the recruitment and student work placement process within an assigned portfolio to ensure win-win opportunities.
- Evaluate Co-op student performance and assess work term reports. This involves self-directed planning, coordinating and scheduling on-site evaluation meetings (requires extensive travel) with both students and work placement supervisors, assessing and coaching student professional and learning performance.
- Counsel, coach, and support students through all aspects of the co-op employment process.
- Collaborate on various projects as part of a team of Coordinators and Recruitment staff.
The successful candidates will have an undergraduate degree, demonstrated ability in generating business and building effective relationships, student services experience, and program marketing with a strong commitment to student and customer service. You excel in organizing your work, communicating clearly and confidently, and you have excellent interpersonal skills. Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications is required; proficiency with an applicant tracking software and MS Access is desired. Candidates must have access to a vehicle and a valid Class 5 Alberta driver’s license.
Along with your resume, please submit a cover letter that outlines why you believe you are the right person for this position. Also, in your cover letter, please provide a detailed answer to the following question: "How will you contribute to a culture of trust, effectiveness, and execution in the Faculty of Engineering?" Applications received without a cover letter will not be considered. Applications received with a cover letter that does not specifically address these important items will not be considered.
These regular continuing positions are in accordance with the Administrative and Professional Officer agreement and offer a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed at Faculty & Staff Benefits.
Interested applicants may apply to: http://www.careers.ualberta.ca/Competition/A107435381
The University of Alberta is committed to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce. We welcome applications from all qualified persons. We encourage women; First Nations, Métis and Inuit persons; members of visible minority groups; persons with disabilities; persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression; and all those who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas and the University to apply.