Work Experience Coordinator – Journalism & Public Relations
Academic Support VIII
Competition Number: 7908DM
Mount Royal University provides an exceptional undergraduate educational experience to its students, with a view to becoming Canada’s premier undergraduate university. A growing university with approximately 12,000 students, Mount Royal has been delivering quality education in Calgary for over 100 years. With an emphasis on smaller class sizes, Mount Royal provides students with the opportunity to get to know their professors within a positive and supportive learning and work environment.
Reporting to a Career Services Work Experience Supervisor, the Work Experience Coordinator will establish, maintain, and enhance the co-operation necessary between employers, students and faculty to ensure that all partners benefit from participating in the Mount Royal Work Experience programs. This position provides primary program support to the Communications program, including Journalism, Public Relations, and other programs as assigned.
- Developing and implementing a strategic local, regional, and national marketing plan in order to contact and engage targeted employers to hire work term students for quality work term settings and opportunities;
- Sourcing, developing, and maintaining employer-client relationships to ensure continued participation in work experience programs;
- Working with student groups to assist in their success in securing work term opportunities by meeting with students 1:1 and in group settings;
- Developing an in-class professional development course that prepares students to respond to the labour market, and guide them in preparing resumes and cover letters, self-assessment, interviews, portfolios, and networking and self-marketing tools;
- Liaising with and reporting to work experience coordinators and faculty to collaborate on program progress and student development practices that inform and support outcomes-focused learning
- Working closely with work experience coordinators to provide classroom assistance and event support, work term preparation, and delegation of duties to administrative support; and
- Assisting work experience coordinators with day-to-day operations of work experience programs and support.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field such as Communication, Marketing, or Adult Education in combination with 3 – 5 years of relevant marketing experience ideally coupled with applicable work experience in recruitment, training, employment development and work-based learning programs;
- Familiarity with a variety of communications-related industry sectors, organizations, and opportunities;
- Ability to work effectively with multiple program stakeholders including students, faculty, employers, colleagues, and the Career Services Department; Proven ability to work independently and within self-managed teams;
- High aptitude for analysis, decisiveness, problem-solving and attention to detail in conjunction with excellent organizational skills and ability to successfully manage multiple competing priorities;
- Excellent communication and presentation skills with a track record for professionalism and diplomacy;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite software and Google Apps; Contract Management Software experience would be an asset; and
- Must have access to a vehicle and valid driver’s license; limited local travel is required.
Salary: 2,455.75 Semi-Monthly
Closing Date: April 2, 2017
Reply To: Mount Royal University
Department of Human Resources