Experiential Learning Centre, Student Affairs
Temporary full-time from May 2, 2018 to March 31, 2019
Hiring #: 2018-0199
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
At the University of Guelph, our students benefit greatly from engaging directly in industries and communities where they can apply their learning in real-world contexts, develop essential employability skills, and gain a deeper understanding of the complex issues faced by employers and community organizations today.
The Experiential Learning Centre collaborates with industry and community partners in identifying experiential learning opportunities that serve as vehicles for the application of formal learning in real-world contexts, while supporting students in developing essential employability skills and addressing our partners’ priorities. To provide greater access to Experiential Learning (EL) opportunities in the Food and Agriculture industry for students in all disciplines, the Flexible Internship Program has been developed. The program offers a 40-hour flexible internship experience in the semester following students’ successful completion of a mandatory credit-bearing course. Internships are offered either in a concentrated period or part-time throughout the semester. The Internship Specialist works directly with faculty and students and liaises with industry and community organizations to broker and sustain partnerships, and ensure that Internships are delivering reciprocal benefits to students, partners and the Institution. Co-operative Education staff responsible for employer development will provide functional direction, mentorship, and best practices in developing meaningful internship opportunities.
Reporting to the Manager, Co-op & Employer Partnerships, the Internship Specialist will support the course instructor in embedding employability skills within the Flexible Internship Program course curriculum. The Internship Specialist will develop and expand workplace and community partnerships within the Agri-Food Industry. Ultimately responsible for developing a diverse range of high quality flexible internship placements, preparing students for their internship experience, matching students with industry partners, conducting site visits and tracking/showcasing the success of students during their Internship experience and following graduation. The Internship Specialist will work closely with individual faculty and liaise regularly with EL Centre staff to establish the appropriate number of Internships (including international opportunities) that are in line with student career pathways and skill development outcomes.
Requirements of the position include:
- Undergraduate degree and several years of relevant experience in various forms of EL, particularly Co-operative Education along with marketing and job development in an academic setting. An Undergraduate Degree from the Ontario Agricultural College at the University of Guelph or another related program would be preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including marketing, account development, management skills, public speaking, sales, and public relations in the Food and Agriculture industry.
- Strong knowledge of experiential learning theories, research and applications in an academic setting; career counselling; work integrated learning; risk management; community engaged learning and labour market analysis.
- Strong understanding of how to prepare students for the workplace, student capabilities, and high quality internship opportunities.
- Must also demonstrate knowledge of relevant job markets for students in the Agri-Food industry, and the ability to work well with a diverse group of clients/stakeholders (i.e. internship partners, students, faculty);
- Ability to successfully bridge the needs of stakeholders understanding faculty needs, career pathways, flexible internship objectives, and industry partner placement dynamics.
- Knowledge of the University academic programs and procedures would be considered an asset;
Grant/Trust Fund position
Professional/Managerial Salary Bands
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Closing Date: 2018 05 23
Click here to apply