Career Development and Experiential Learning (CDEL)
MacEwan University inspires students with a powerful combination of academic excellence and personal learning experiences – ours is a connected culture that focuses on learner-centered teaching, and on providing opportunities for students to grow and achieve.
The university provides a transformative education in a creative, collaborative and supportive learning environment. 19,000 full- and part-time students are enrolled in more than 65 programs: four-year undergraduate degrees, applied degrees, university transfer programs and one- and two-year diploma and certificates. Additional offerings include university preparation, English as an Additional Language, professional and personal development courses and workshops, corporate training and the Conservatory of Music.
MacEwan University is seeking an experienced Interim Manager for our Career Development and Experiential Learning department.
The interim Manager's responsibilities include the oversight and supervision of personnel and daily operations of the CDEL unit. This would involve coordinating and offering direct service to students; related central consultation and support services for faculty, staff and administration, employers and community partners. The Interim Manager ensures unit-level resources and processes allow for appropriate central support for: work integrated learning; career development services for students, graduate school awareness of and preparedness, employer-student connections, and related events. The Interim Manager ensures e-marketing and information opportunities for students and other stakeholders are fully exploited. The Interim Manager collaborates in the development, implementation and evaluation of strategic directions and planning for the AVP's portfolio as directed.
The Interim Manager is the primary CDEL contact for the MacEwan Life platform. This includes leading the creation of content and flow, helping identify needs or issues, working with technical support and the vendor to ensure accessibility and functionality. This role is coordinator of all facilitated training related to central portal or other technologically-mediated career development and experiential content
The Interim Manager is an active collaborator with other divisional leads in the Office Associate Vice-President Students and Teaching's portfolio, the Library, Communications, and Faculties and Schools to ensure there is an integrated, user-focused approach and support for the Career Development and Experiential Learning.
The successful incumbent will have a Master’s degree in one of the following areas: career development and experiential learning; business; human resources; adult education and leadership. In addition, 3 years’ experience working in a career development, work-integrated, experiential, community-based, co-op or related field is required.
Experience teaching as a faculty member in a postsecondary institution would be a significant asset in this role.
- Having the courage to lead, make grounded decisions or recommendations, comply with divisional and university guidelines/decisions
- Passionate about career education, community engaged learning and experiential learning.
- Able to fuel others' engagement by using current theory and best practice
- Respectful of the chain of command and confidentiality required as a manager or divisional leadership member
- Collaborative partnering with employers to identify and develop opportunities for students including placements, co-op, internships and work opportunities
- Have deep understanding about the realities of student readiness for university, academic processes and programs, related labor market information, and recruitment/retention strategies involving career development
- Ability to lead, motivate, develop, and sustain a professional team
- Have excellent critical and strategic thinking, problem solving and decision-making skills
- Display a high degree of self-awareness and control to filter personal responses and assumptions so as to control or de-escalate difficult situations.
- Creative and flexible
- Engaging communicator one-to-one or to larger groups
- Organized, able to effectively prioritize and delegate work tasks
- Understanding accountability (reportability and answerability) as it relates to a managerial role
- Comfortable using computer-based or web tools and office software, including MS Office, social media, web-facilitated research, and presentation applications
- Interest in representing CDEL in professional associations and organizations related to this role, as approved by the AVP
When you become part of the MacEwan team, you will enjoy a competitive salary. Our total compensation package includes:
- Competitive base pay
- Excellent benefits package
- Effective recognition and retention programs
- Continuous learning culture
- Opportunities for career growth
How to Apply
Only applications received electronically will be considered. To apply, go to http://www.macewan.ca/careers and select the job posting.
Thank you for your interest in employment with MacEwan University. We will be reviewing all applications to select the candidates whose qualifications and experience most closely meet our needs. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
This position is included under the Out of Scope employee policy (D1015).
MacEwan University is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We encourage Indigenous people, persons living with a disability, sexual and gender minorities, women, and members of all minority groups to apply and to self-identify. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Commensurate with education and experience
April 12, 2019