Job Title: Experiential Learning Specialist, Student Success, Haskayne School of Business
Job ID: 19241
Updated: September 9, 2019
Location: Main Campus
Application Deadline: September 23, 2019
The Department of Student Success in the Haskayne School of Business invites applications for a Experiential Learning Specialist. This Full-time Fixed Term position is for approximately 2 years (based on length of grant funding), with the possibility of extension.
This position reports to the Director, Student Success of the Haskayne School of Business (the School). Student Success oversees the career development, student experience, and experiential learning functions of the School. Through initiatives outside the classrooms, Student Success elevates student experience, transforms learning, and equips students with competencies and skills for career and lifelong development.
This position requires frequent interactions with a diverse group of internal and external clients. Professional and mature manner along with excellent communication skills are essential. This position works within a framework of University and School policies and procedures, and uses personal initiative and good judgment. The Experiential Learning Specialist must have passion, knowledge and experience with theoretical and practical applications of experiential learning. The position requires a positive attitude, readiness to collaborate and nurture community partnerships, with tact, diplomacy, and skill in maintaining effective relationships with various stakeholders. Stress level and impact of error are high. The primary purpose of the Experiential Learning Specialist position is to be the expert in and lead experiential learning in the Haskayne School of Business, and to provide expert level program design and execution in the development of experiential learning opportunities for faculty and students.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
Leadership in Experiential Learning
- Support and promote experiential learning within the faculty and to stakeholders.
- In consultation with the Director and in coordination with the Student Success team, lead in all aspects of program and event design and execution.
- Remain current in emerging experiential learning theory and practice, such as service learning, work-based learning, action research, and community-based learning.
- Research and design experiential learning strategies and processes.
- Advise faculty and staff of best practices relevant to experiential learning activities.
- Identify opportunities in the curriculum for social entrepreneurship partnerships in the community and increase opportunities for students to participate in learning activities in social entrepreneurship.
- Represent the School on university experiential learning committees and working groups.
- Find existing community partnerships and identify and contact potential community partners for the purposes of experiential learning in social entrepreneurship. Work collaboratively with faculty and administration to nurture these relationships to support experiential learning initiatives.
- Demonstrate creativity and initiative to support continuous improvement and encourage positive outcomes.
Program and Project Management
- Consults with stakeholders to determine programming objectives and take responsibility in planning the scope and format of said programming.
- Fully responsible for the planning and execution of multiple complex flagship initiatives, including large scale events and programming that are evolving and long-term in nature.
- In coordination with the Haskayne Community Engagement Team, is responsible for ensuring that experiential learning program logistics and preparations (such as venue arrangements, catering, signage, invitations, accommodations, transportations, etc.) are prepared, documented, communicated and implemented.
- Develops timelines, prepares all collaterals (program brief, speaking notes, presentations, invitations, etc.) and provides information to all relevant stakeholders by telephone, email or in person prior to and throughout each event or program.
- Work with members of Student Success, develop and implement continuous tracking and benchmarking of experiential learning initiatives across the faculty. Coordinate the collection of metrics related to experiential learning for administrative, teaching, and research purposes.
Collaborating and Advising
- Work collaboratively with the Community-Based Learning (CBL) Advisor to support and deliver new and existing CBL courses to advance experiential learning.
- Guide community partners and students through the experiential learning process. Advises students and guides them in finding appropriate experiential learning opportunities that maximize their development.
Qualifications / Requirements:
- Undergraduate degree in business or related to entrepreneurship is required. Graduate degree would be an asset.
- 5 or more years of working with experiential learning programs and social enterprise is required.
- Extensive knowledge of experiential learning programs and best practices is required.
- Extensive knowledge of and experience in social enterprise is required.
- Good understanding of pedagogical literature and application of theory, especially with regards to: experiential learning, work-integrated education, community-based learning, strategies for student engagement, instructional design, and educational assessment and evaluation is required.
- 5 or more years of experience working with long-term, large scale program and event management is required.
- Ability to collaborate with faculty and staff to enhance the student learning experience and increase engagement is required.
- Proven record of excellence in building and maintaining successful business relationships with all stakeholders is crucial to the success of this role.
- Ability to establish personal credibility within Haskayne School of Business and the University of Calgary is required.
- Strong interpersonal skills and proven record of ability to work collaboratively, nurturing positive working relationships with faculty, staff, and community partners is critical to the success of this role.
- Strong organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills in order to deal effectively with complex tasks and issues as required.
- Proven ability to meet competing and concurrent deadlines in fast paced environment with constantly shifting priorities is required.
- Strong skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office is required.
- Knowledge of University academic policies and regulations including copyright and FOIP is an asset.
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.
This position is part of the AUPE bargaining unit, and falls under the Specialist/Advisor Job Family, Phase III.
To find out more about management and staff opportunities at the University of Calgary and all we have to offer, view our Management and Staff Careers website. For more information about the Haskayne School of Business, visit Careers in the Haskayne School of Business.
About the University of Calgary
The University of Calgary is Canada’s leading next-generation university – a living, growing and youthful institution that embraces change and opportunity with a can-do attitude. Located in the nation’s most enterprising city, the university is making tremendous progress on its Eyes High journey to be recognized as one of Canada’s top five research universities, grounded in innovative learning and teaching and fully integrated with the community it both serves and leads. The University of Calgary inspires and supports discovery, creativity and innovation across all disciplines. For more information, visit ucalgary.ca.
The University of Calgary recognizes that a diverse staff/faculty benefits and enriches the work, learning and research experiences of the entire campus and greater community. We are committed to removing barriers that have been historically encountered by some people in our society. We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our diversity and will support their professional success while they are here. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply, however preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.