The Taylor Institute for Teaching and Learning is currently seeking a Full-time Regular Experiential Learning Platform Administrator.
The University of Calgary seeks to make Experiential Learning (EL) a cornerstone of the UCalgary student experience ensuring that by 2025, all undergraduate students have at least two opportunities for EL before graduation. Implementing a campus-wide platform to manage EL opportunities is a key priority in the institutional Experiential Learning Plan (2019-25). The platform supports efficiencies in managing EL, allows accurate tracking of participation in EL, and provides students with increased visibility of EL opportunities.
This position reports to the Senior Specialist, Experiential Learning with accountabilities to the Manager, Learning Technologies. This position requires a high degree of collaboration and relationship building with numerous stakeholders across campus in order to advance institutional priorities of universal access to EL for undergraduate and graduate students. This nature of the work requires the EL Platform Administrator to work closely with the Experiential Education and Educational Technology & Design teams within the TI. Additionally, this position fosters strong working relationships with EL program administrators across campus, the Office of Institutional Analysis and Registrar's Office as well as with University of Calgary IT and the chosen vendor for the EL Platform. The incumbent will also work closely with a broader project team supporting the enterprise implementation of an EL platform.
This position requires a high level of technical expertise to ensure the effective delivery of application support. It also requires expertise in developing and facilitating training programs and training resources for staff and students using the EL platform.
There is a high volume of work of varying complexity. Problems vary from daily operational, to policy-related issues, to creating documentation and training end-users. This position requires the ability to assess and solve problems, maintain good judgment and an ability to quickly change mind-sets to handle widely differing issues. It is expected to make key system design and implementation decisions while operating independently.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
- Bachelor's degree in a related field preferably with a focus on technical training
- 3-5 years of progressive experience with application problem resolution
- Customization and/or Enhancement of Business Software Applications including GUI configuration/customization, report development and script development
- Database configuration and data structure modification
- Data mapping, data manipulation and data migration among various database systems and enterprise applications
- Experience with Experiential Learning platform products (such as Orbis, Symplicity, Riipen, EduSourced) is an asset
- Participation in the technical support process to ensure superior technical support response and value for individuals and partners across UCalgary
- Installation, configuration and troubleshooting of off-the-shelf and custom software applications
- Strong focus on meeting the needs of individuals and partners across the academic community coupled with the ability to operate effectively in an energetic, fast-paced business environment
- The ability to quickly learn about new products, systems, applications and technologies
- The ability to determine the impact of system changes on business processes and outcomes
- Strong communication skills and is able to communicate with people with varying technical ability
- Current experience with learning technologies an asset
- Current experience with workshop facilitation and presentation, including online training
- Experience in a Help Desk/ tech support field, preferred
- Experience, knowledge and proficiency in a wide range of learning technologies such as D2L Brightspace and Adobe Connect, an asset
- Experience with technical testing and reporting
- Proficient in both Windows and Mac platforms and familiar with major mobile platforms
- Positive, team-oriented outlook and willingness to collaborate with all colleagues. This is a highly team-oriented role involving interaction with several cooperating departments, and with exposure to all faculties and units across campus
- Demonstrated experience and competence in the areas of consultation, creative problem solving, innovation, and constructive dialogue with various stakeholders
- Highly self-motivated and self-managed; evidence of personal leadership, self-motivation, self-direction, and an ability to work independently and as part of a team, required
Qualifications / Requirements:
- Application Administration (60%)
- Provides functional and process expertise for the chosen application for UCalgary's EL platform
- Completes functional configuration to ensure the EL platform functions as planned
- Facilitates ongoing base configurations and changes with the EL platform
- Works closely with the EL platform leads and administrators across campus to evaluate configuration changes and identify the impact of planned vendor updates
- Plans software release testing and communications with the Senior Specialist, Experiential Learning, the Learning Technologies Manager and key vendor contacts
- Plans and executes system access and removal requests
- Acts as an incident escalation point for Information Technologies Support Centre (ITSC)
- Facilitates incident reporting and resolution with end users, vendors and Information Technologies
- Identifies, analyzes and mitigates common user errors and knowledge gaps
- Understands and adheres to defined policies and standards
- Provides advice and feedback on change processes based on end user needs
- Tracks progress, risks and issues and develops timely corrective actions
- As needed, provides some functional and process expertise for other learning technologies (such as D2L, Adobe Connect, YuJa, and Curriculum Links)
Support, Training and Development (30%)
- Meets with campus stakeholders to determine business needs related to managing EL opportunities
- Problem solves and collaborates to determine how the EL Platform can meet stakeholders¿ specific and common business needs
- Develops and facilitates how to training sessions for users of the EL Platform and other learning technologies (including other administrators and academic staff)
- Provides advanced workshops and consultation to enable administrators/academic staff to effectively use and incorporate applications
- Collaborates on the development of training materials and documentation to support the use of learning technologies for end users
- Consults and works closely with faculty, graduate students, postdoctoral scholars and staff on teaching and learning needs for new applications
- Advises faculty, graduate students, postdoctoral scholars and staff on effective use of learning technologies
- Examines new and emerging learning technologies and applications to support innovation
- Evaluates needs and fit of learning technologies to support innovation
- Remains current in knowledge of new and emerging learning technologies and practices in higher education
- Actively participates in special projects to advance learning technology use and integration across the University of Calgary
Application Deadline: January 2, 2020
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.
This position is part of the AUPE bargaining unit, and falls under the Technical Job Family, Phase II.
To find out more about management and staff opportunities at the University of Calgary and all we have to offer, view our Management and Staff Careers website.
About the University of Calgary
The University of Calgary is Canada’s leading next-generation university – a living, growing and youthful institution that embraces change and opportunity with a can-do attitude. Located in the nation’s most enterprising city, the university is making tremendous progress on its Eyes High journey to be recognized as one of Canada’s top five research universities, grounded in innovative learning and teaching and fully integrated with the community it both serves and leads. The University of Calgary inspires and supports discovery, creativity and innovation across all disciplines. For more information, visit ucalgary.ca.
The University of Calgary recognizes that a diverse staff/faculty benefits and enriches the work, learning and research experiences of the entire campus and greater community. We are committed to removing barriers that have been historically encountered by some people in our society. We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our diversity and will support their professional success while they are here. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply, however preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada
Full Details and to apply, visit Careers at UCalgary