Job Opportunity: Cooperative Education Coordinator (Limited Term)
Career Services Coordinator
Under the direction of the TRU Career & Experiential Learning Department, the Coordinator will work in Career Services programming to support students in their career education and development activities. The Coordinator will work with undergraduate and graduate students, alumni, and prospective employers. This work will include individual career coaching and advising; teaching pre-employment career courses / seminars / workshop; employer liaison activities and developing employment opportunities with organizations, corporations and agencies; and being involved in the planning and organizing of career related events for students.
The main focus of the position with be working with students through individual career coaching sessions and a minimum of 20 hours of individual appointment times will be required each week. A thorough understanding of career theory will allow the successful candidate to work with students to develop career action plans, disseminate labour market information, identify core career competencies, complete a career portfolio, revise resume and cover letters, implement interview strategies, and assist students to make meaning of their education during the transition from school to work.
Teaching and Career Coaching
- Develop and facilitate modalities of instruction and delivery
- Teach career courses, seminars, including sections of the Co-op 1000 course
- Teach targeted career workshops in programs and classes across campus
- Assess the satisfaction and learning of students
- Work with students to develop career action plans, disseminate labour market information, identify core career competencies, and assist students to make meaning of their experiential learning while at school and during the transition from school to work
Outreach, Career Events and Administrative Activities
- Contribute to the annual report that highlights career education, experiential learning and work integrated learning on campus
- Attend on-campus and community events to promote career and experiential learning opportunities for TRU students
- Work with stakeholders to offer recruitment events on and off campus
- Connect students with career opportunities
- Work with the CEL marketing committee and Faculty of Student Development marketing team to highlight career services within TRU and with external stakeholders
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with community partners to create and enhance high impact experiences for students
- Assist with other duties and workload assignments as assigned by the Chair in a collegial environment
- Minimum of a Master’s Degree in Social Sciences, Humanities or a related degree with a focus in Career Education, Experiential Learning Education, Mentorship, Peer Learning, Career Planning and Counselling, or a combination thereof.
- Experience maintaining records using the Symplicity platform or other career / experiential learning tracking software.
- Minimum of 3 years experience providing career coaching / counselling to youth and adults
- Strong experience and understanding of career services such as: Co-operative Education, Internships, Practicum, Service Learning, Volunteer Programs, Mentoring, and Project Based Learning.
- A minimum of 3 years of progressive experience teaching and mentoring students at the university level with experience placing and monitoring students in experiential learning environments.
- Must have knowledge of the theory, pedagogy, and practice of career education
- Outstanding interpersonal and inter-cultural communications skills and proven ability to build long-term relationships in a complex, multi-stakeholder environment.
- Ability to work well within a team environment and make decisions under pressure.
- Post-secondary experience developing curriculum and working with learning management systems to deliver content. The LMS experience may include: Moodle, Blackboard, Desire 2 Learn, etc.
- Strong knowledge of regional, provincial, national, and international labour markets.
TERM OF EMPLOYMENT: August 3, 2020 to May 25, 2022