The University of Guelph is committed to equity in its policies, practices, and programs, supports diversity in its teaching, learning and work environments, and ensures that applications for members of underrepresented groups are seriously considered under its employment equity policy. All qualified individuals who would contribute to the further diversification of our University community are encouraged to apply.
Forbes Includes U of G Among Canada's Top Employers
Professional and Managerial Group
Co-operative Education & Career Services
Hiring #: 2017-0349
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
Co-operative Education & Career Services (CECS) is a critical department of the Division of Student Affairs and provides services to all students throughout their undergraduate and graduate careers as well as to alumni. CECS represents the University’s primary support services for students and alumni regarding academic, career and vocational direction and employment. CECS staff persons provide career development, student employment and co-operative education programs and services, and facilitate experiential learning opportunities to foster the career achievements of University of Guelph students and alumni. These services include the main functional areas of career planning, further education planning, job search planning, online career development programs, employer experience, employment events, on-campus recruiting, job posting services and co-operative education programs.
The Co-operative Education program formally integrates a student’s academic studies with work experience with employers. Over 3,000 co-op students participate in 35 co-op majors at the University of Guelph. Co-op Coordinators assume complete marketing responsibility and student advisement for co-op program(s) as assigned and actively recruit and engage employers to hire 450 - 1250 co-op students each fall, winter and summer semester. These activities raise the profile of the University of Guelph and guide student success in the co-operative education program. This role is a new addition to our Engineering Co-op Coordinator Team.
Reporting to the Manager, Co-op & Employer Partnerships, the Co-op Coordinator is responsible for:
- Developing new and maintaining existing employer relationships to support and expand engagement with co-operative education and the University of Guelph;
- Providing advisement and guidance to co-op students in assigned programs on job search strategies, employability skills (professional and transferable) and career development while the student is seeking employment and while on a work term;
- Maintaining in-depth labour market insight, analyzing shifts in technology and economics;
- Marketing and promoting co-op and the University of Guelph throughout all sectors of the economy, trade associations, tradeshows;
- Conducting co-op work term site visits to monitor student learning and work performance; and ensuring that sufficient job quantity, diversity and experience levels are available for co-op students.
Requirements of the position include:
- An undergraduate degree and several years’ relevant experience in employer development, relationship management or business development;
- Applicants should demonstrate excellent marketing and account management skills, sales, and public relations skills.
- Must also demonstrate strong knowledge of relevant job markets for engineering co-op students, and the ability to work well with a diverse group of clients/stakeholders (i.e. employers, students, faculty);
- Knowledge of co-operative education, career counselling, human resource practices, labour market analysis, employment law is an asset.
- Knowledge of the University academic programs and procedures is an asset;
Position Number 114-030
Professional/Managerial Salary Bands