Professional and Managerial Group
Business Systems Analyst II, Experiential Learning
Experiential Learning Department
Temporary full-time from February 2019 to February 2021
Hiring #: 2019-0058
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
The Experiential Learning (EL) department plays a critical role in fostering student success and employability and supports the institution’s commitment to providing students with opportunities to apply their learning in real-world contexts. The department includes Co-operative Education, Work-Integrated Learning, Workplace Partnerships, Co-curricular Engagement and Learning, and Career Education and Development Services, with these critical programs supported by business operations, systems management, and marketing and communications. The department is home to the fourth largest Co-operative Education program in Ontario with over 3,500 students and targets that will result in over 4,000 students by 2020.
The Analyst II plays an instrumental role in advancing the technological capabilities for Experiential Learning and ultimately contributes to further enhancing the University’s reputation of excellence in experiential education. Under the direction of the Systems and Process leader and in collaboration with the central Computing & Communications Services (CCS) department, the Analyst is responsible to support the ongoing technical implementation and long-term development of the Experience Guelph system, the university’s experiential learning management platform (an Orbis Communications product). The Experience Guelph system is robust and is comprised of eight key modules servicing thousands of users including all U of G students; over 15,000 external employer and community partners representing close to 10,000 organizations; 7,000 alumni; and hundreds of faculty and staff from across the campus. Specifically, the successful incumbent is responsible to:
- Collaborate with the EL management team (specifically Co-operative Education) and other key stakeholders to understand the strategic direction of the business and the technical requirements;
- Develop an understanding of the strategic direction of IT across the enterprise and review, recommend and integrate IT programs or services that align with EL’s objectives;
- Contribute to the development of the EL IT strategy toward sustainability, scalability and interoperability;
- Develop, support, enhance and maintain current and future IT applications, systems and services within the EL department;
- Work with third party vendors to implement robust solutions to streamline business processes;
- Leverage best practices to analyze, review, investigate, design, develop, document, train and support web-based systems and databases that meet the EL department specific needs and cannot be provided by CCS or third party;
- Generate reports and extract information from the EL department systems as required.
Requirements of the position include:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Business or a related field coupled with a minimum of 3 years of related work experience with IT infrastructure and enterprise systems; or a combination of education and experience. Experience using an Obis Communications product will be considered a strong asset.
- Demonstrated success supporting large-scale or enterprise-wide initiatives including infrastructure, security, and applications (student information systems, finance, human resources, etc.) and how they are integrated with each other;
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written) with ability to work effectively to understand the business needs and technical requirements of a diverse user group as well as with technical and non-technical business clients and team members;
- A solid understanding of project planning and project execution skills with a track record of successful delivery;
- Proven ability to build and maintain successful stakeholder and vendor relationships at various levels;
- Experience designing and delivering user training is considered a strong asset;
- Experience in a higher education environment is preferred.
Professional/Managerial Salary Bands
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Posting Date: 2019, 01 21
Closing Date: 2019, 01 28
Click here to apply.