DescriptionThe University of Toronto Scarborough is a place of energy, enthusiasm and passion. Our commitment to inclusive excellence attracts the brightest learners, scholars and employees from around the globe. Our success has been made possible by the opportunity given to us by our Indigenous hosts to operate on their territory, and we cherish our continuing partnerships with these communities. The University of Toronto Scarborough is an exciting campus with unlimited potential. Join us on our journey.
The University of Toronto Scarborough has been a leader in Co-operative education, combining academic study with alternating work terms, for 40 years. Co-operative education gives students an opportunity to test skills learned in the classroom, and to expand their knowledge through related work experience. The Arts and Science Co-op Office is responsible for preparing students in over 35 unique program areas to compete for paid co-op work opportunities. The Office also is responsible for engaging industry partners who provide these work terms. A coordinated effort among the stakeholders of student, employer, and university Co-op programming contributes to the development of well-qualified graduates who are prepared to assume a productive role in society. With a commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion, the department works closely with campus and employer partners to support students as they work to achieve their academic and Co-op aspirations.
Reporting to the Assistant Director, Partnerships and External Relations in the Arts and Science Co-op department, the incumbent plays a leadership role in developing strong partnerships with potential employers within assigned economic sectors to assure high quality paid co-op work term opportunities for Arts and Science Co-op students at the University of Toronto Scarborough.
The primary goal of the position is to develop co-op partner relationships for the purpose of creating paid co-op work term opportunities for Arts and Science Co-op students. The Business Development Coordinator is responsible for developing and initiating all aspects of new co-op employer relationships that strategically support the academic programs within the Arts and Science Co-op portfolio. Using a direct sales approach, the incumbent is responsible for conducting market research, identifying target markets, and first contact with potential employers to develop new co-op job opportunities. S/he also is responsible for maintaining existing relationships with employers. In consultation with the Assistant Director, the incumbent sets annual performance targets both for new employers with strong co-op job potential and for job postings in each work term.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Building and strengthening relationships with stakeholders and partners of strategic importance
- Identifying, fostering and maintaining relationships with potential and existing employers
- Promoting programming, student needs and interests to employers and industry contacts
- Conducting detailed labour market analysis to inform program and partnership development
- Researching and analyzing potential employers and recommending student placement opportunities
- Tracking the status of business development initiatives, activities and outcomes
- Evaluating job prospects in alignment with student academic goals
- Keeping well-informed on economic and market trends and competitor environments
- Bachelor's Degree or acceptable combination of equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a sales or business development role
- Experience in market research and analysis, identification of target markets as well as direct sales and relationship development
- Track record of success in a target driven environment generating new business and building client relationships in existing and new market sectors
- Enthusiastic self-starter with strong entrepreneurial skills, proactive in driving the effort to increase a client base and close negotiations in the development of opportunities for students
- Excellent presentation skills and the ability to speak to and lead targeted group presentations
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, with a strong emphasis on influencing skills
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle are required
- Experience in marketing, developing marketing strategies, and promotional materials is an asset
- Knowledge of the career services industry and experience within a Co-operative Education environment preferred
- Experience in co-op job development in International markets
- Experience using Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software such as Salesforce.com
- Goal oriented
- Problem solver
- Team player
Employee Group: United Steelworkers (USW)
Appointment Type: Budget - Continuing
Pay Scale Group and Hiring Rate: USW Pay Band 12 -- $69,730 with an annual step progression to a maximum of $89,172. Pay scale and job class assignment is subject to determination pursuant to the Job Evaluation/Pay Equity Maintenance Protocol.
Job Field: Student Academic Experience
Job Posting: Oct 7, 2019
Job Closing: Oct 21, 2019, 11:59:00 PM