posted on July 16, 2019
University of Toronto
Business Development Coordinator
Job Number: 1902317
Faculty / Division: University of Toronto Scarborough
Department: UTSC: Arts & Science Co-op Programs
About us:The University of Toronto Scarborough has been a leader in Co-operative education, combining academic study with alternating work terms, for 40 years. Co-operative education gives students an opportunity to test skills learned in the classroom, and to expand their knowledge through related work experience. The Arts and Science Co-op Office is responsible for preparing students in over 35 unique program areas to compete for paid co-op work opportunities. The Office also is responsible for engaging industry partners who provide these work terms. A coordinated effort among the stakeholders of student, employer, and university Co-op programming contributes to the development of well-qualified graduates who are prepared to assume a productive role in society. With a commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion, the department works closely with campus and employer partners to support students as they work to achieve their academic and Co-op aspirations.
Your opportunity:Reporting to the Assistant Director, Partnerships and External Relations in the Arts and Science Co-op department, the incumbent plays a leadership role in developing strong partnerships with potential employers within assigned economic sectors to assure high quality paid co-op work term opportunities for Arts and Science Co-op students at the University of Toronto Scarborough.
The primary goal of the position is to develop co-op partner relationships for the purpose of creating paid co-op work term opportunities for Arts and Science Co-op students. The Business Development Coordinator is responsible for developing and initiating all aspects of new co-op employer relationships that strategically support the academic programs within the Arts and Science Co-op portfolio. Using a direct sales approach, the incumbent is responsible for conducting market research, identifying target markets, and first contact with potential employers to develop new co-op job opportunities. S/he also is responsible for maintaining existing relationships with employers. In consultation with the Assistant Director, the incumbent sets annual performance targets both for new employers with strong co-op job potential and for job postings in each work term.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Building and strengthening relationships with stakeholders and partners of strategic importance
- Identifying, fostering and maintaining relationships with potential and existing employers
- Promoting programming, student needs and interests to employers and industry contacts
- Conducting detailed labour market analysis to inform program and partnership development
- Researching and analyzing potential employers and recommending student placement opportunities
- Tracking the status of business development initiatives, activities and outcomes
- Evaluating job prospects in alignment with student academic goals
- Keeping well-informed on economic and market trends and competitor environments
- Bachelor's Degree or acceptable combination of equivalent experience
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a sales or business development role
- Experience in market research and analysis, identification of target markets as well as direct sales and relationship development
- Track record of success in a target driven environment generating new business and building client relationships in existing and new market sectors
- Enthusiastic self-starter with strong entrepreneurial skills, proactive in driving the effort to increase a client base and close negotiations in the development of opportunities for students
- Excellent presentation skills and the ability to speak to and lead targeted group presentations
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, with a strong emphasis on influencing skills
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle are required
- Experience in marketing, developing marketing strategies, and promotional materials is an asset
- Knowledge of the career services industry and experience within a Co-operative Education environment preferred
- Experience in co-op job development in International markets
- Experience using Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software such as Salesforce.com
To be successful in this role you will be:
- Goal oriented
- Problem solver
- Team player
Notes: Please note that this is a one-year term position.
A copy of the full job description is available upon request form the UTSC HR Office.
Employee Group: United Steelworkers (USW)
Appointment Type: Budget - Term
Pay Scale Group and Hiring Rate: USW Pay Band 12 -- $69,730 with an annual step progression to a maximum of $89,172. Pay scale and job class assignment is subject to determination pursuant to the Job Evaluation/Pay Equity Maintenance Protocol.
Job Field: Student Academic Experience
Job Posting: Jul 15, 2019
Job Closing: Jul 24, 2019, 11:59:00 PM