International Students Working in Canada

Please note these are general guidelines for Co-op staff and faculty in supporting international visa students in co-op programs in Canada.  Each school may have slightly different requirements.

  • Strongly encourage new students accepted into your Co-op program to apply for their co-op work permits as soon as possible. CIC has a dedicated section for co-op work permits.
  • CIC also has a section to help students with co-op work permits and post-graduation work permits. Labour market trends and news help job seekers better understand where their best efforts can be directed.
  • If you have any doubt about the Co-op work permit application process, reach out to the Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) on your campus for assistance. RCICs are members of the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC). You can find your RCICs at the membership site.
  • Encourage your incoming visa students to seek out your institution’s career and co-op services for support towards getting prepared to be hired in Canada. These offices might also have resources on being successful in the Canadian workplace, closing culture gaps, etc.
  • For other on-campus support with respect to settling in a new community, coping with academic responsibilities, integrating into campus life, etc, guide your visa students to approach your institution’s international students' office.